What are Cosmeceuticals?
Cosmeceutical products lie between pharmaceutical and cosmetics products. It is a cosmetic product with medicinal or drug-like benefits. They target consumers looking for results-oriented solutions or skin-repairing benefits. They work at a cellular level and avoid harsh chemicals associated with cosmetics products. They counter the effects of changing environmental conditions and offer a cost-effective alternative to cosmetic surgery. Cosmeceuticals usually contain active ingredients that influence the skin.
Examples of Active Ingredients in Cosmeceuticals
- Antioxidants, such as vitamin C, an antioxidant when added to a skincare product.
- Botanical Extracts from Plants and oils derived from flowers, herbs, seeds, nuts, roots, and berries
- Marine Extracts, sea algae, seaweed, marine algae, and micro-algae
- Peptides can provide significant anti-aging benefits when used in skincare products
- Depigmenting agents that help lighten the skin and lose skin pigment
- UV Protection that offers sun protection
- Exfoliants help remove dead skin and outer layers of thickened skin, encouraging skin turnover.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids soften fine wrinkles, lighten pigmentation spots, tighten and improve skin texture
Skin challenges that cosmeceuticals can be suitable for
- Sun-damaged skin
- Dry skin
- Dull skin
- Dehydrated skin
- Rough and Cracked skin
- Skin with fine lines
- Wrinkled skin
- Uneven skin tone
- Oily skin
- Acne-prone skin
- Skin Pigmentation
- Skin Blemishes
- Sensitive Skin
- Scarred Skin
Examples of Cosmeceutical Products
- Anti-Aging Creams and Serums
- Advanced Skin Cleansers
- Skin Tightening Products
- Sun Protection
- Skin Whitening
- Scar Gels and Creams
- Body Slimming Creams
- Hair Growth Products
- Hair Fall Solutions
- Scalp Repair
- Anti-Dandruff Solutions
- Lip Care and Rejuvenation Products
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA) based Products
Trends in Cosmeceuticals
- Use of a plant stem-cell and a Nano-materials technology in anti-aging products.
- Natural and herbal cosmeceuticals are rapidly growing.
- Increasing the use of cosmeceuticals by men segment.
- Most of the cosmetics and personal care manufacturers are moving towards cosmeceuticals.
- Many pharmaceutical companies are also getting into cosmeceutical manufacturing.
- Increasing demand for hair growth products.