what is viginal tightening?
Vaginal tightening refers to any method used to tighten the vagina, which can lose muscle tone and become lax after childbirth or menopause, or due to age.
Most women find they have no issues with the size, lubrication, or elasticity of their vagina post-childbirth or as they get older. But for others, problems such as sexual dysfunction, vaginal atrophy, vaginal laxity, painful intercourse, and stress incontinence can have a negative impact on their quality of life.
benefits of vaginal tightening
- Vaginal tightening improves the symptoms of vaginal atrophy, where the vaginal walls become thinner, drier, and inflamed.
- Vaginal tightening reduces vaginal dryness.
- Vaginal tightening treats stress urinary incontinence (SUI)
- Vaginal tightening improves lubrication
- Vaginal tightening reduces the number of recurrent infections such as Bacterial Vaginosis (BV).
- Vaginal tightening improves vaginal laxity.
- A tight vagina increases sexual pleasure for both partners.
Methods of vaginal tightening
Treatment options for vaginal tightening include the following:
- Invasive Vaginal Surgery and Laser
- Non-invasive topical products: using astringent ingredients.
invasive vaginal surgery and laser
Vaginal Surgery and Laser can take up to six weeks to recover from and has associated risks such as:
- Loss of sensation
- Skin necrosis (skin death)
- Make sure your bladder is empty, then sit or lie down.
- Tighten your pelvic floor muscles. Hold tight and count 3 to 5 seconds.
- Relax the muscles and count 3 to 5 seconds.
- Repeat 10 times, 3 times a day (morning, afternoon, and night).
non-invasive topical products
Products such as LibiTight Femme Gel contain an astringent ingredient such as Potassium Alum, which helps with vaginal tightening.
Potassium Alum 1.5%
- Potassium alum is considered safe by the FDA and its use is in homeopathic or OTC products. Due to its presence in several different products, the main indications for the use of potassium alum is as cosmetic astringent, helping the shrinkage of tissues and the dry of secretions.
- Historically, for centuries Potassium Alum has been used by women as a home remedy for tightening the vagina.
- In cosmetics and personal care products, Potassium Alum is used in the formulation of skin care products, moisturizers, face powders, and deodorants. Potassium Alum is an astringent. Astringents induce a tightening or tingling sensation of the skin.
- The effect is temporary and lasts for 30 – 60 minutes.
- The onset of action needs 10 – 30 minutes after application.